Dark knuckles can be an eyesore and quite hard to get rid of. Are you tired of of your hard dark knuckles? Well, take a look at our DIY remedies.
Dark knuckles can look quite unsightly and the uneven skin tone can make you less confident. Dark knuckles can be caused by an accumulation of dead skin cells. hyperpigmentation or increased by sun exposure. Check out these DIY remedies for stubborn dark knuckles.
A common misconception is that dark knuckles are caused by dirt accumulation which is simply not true. Therefore, scrubbing them vigorously will not solve the problem and could actually make the problem worse by causing further damage to the skin, The increased friction is traumatic to the skin and it will either get thicker, get darker, or both.
Dark knuckles are caused by extreme dry skin. From excessive washing to exposure to hot water, harsh chemicals (e.g., household cleaners), and exposure to sunlight without protection all lead to skin dryness. Dark knuckles can also be caused by some skin diseases will lead to dark knuckles: such as eczema, psoriasis. Obesity has been known to be a contributing factor to dark knuckles because, among its many problems, being over-weight is harsh on the skin.
- Be caring to your skin– Remember to always be gentle to your hands and feet. Try and avoid washing them with extremely hot water and do not scrub them too hard.
- Treat yourself and care for your skin by going for regular manicures and pedicures.
- When it comes to exfoliation, use soft loofahs and pumice stones on a regular basis to clean them.
- Moisturising is key- Do not forget to keep your problem areas moisturised. Make sure you get your hands on a good quality, heavy duty cream which will not only hydrate your skin, but will also exfoliate it at the same time getting rid off dead skin celles. Always use a hand cream and foot cream before you go to bed and for extra goodness, try adding a few drops of olive oil or jojoba oil to your regular cream and applying it on your knuckles. This helps soften the skin.
- Sun protection- Make sure you use a great quality SPF cream before you step out into the sun. This offers protection against harsh rays and prevents further darkening.
DIY home remedies
- Sugar and lemon exfoliating scrub– Mix a spoon of lemon juice with sugar and rub your hands vigorously for about ten minutes. Do this every night before going to bed. The bleaching properties of lemon juice, together with the exfoliating properties of sugar would work wonders. Finish up with a healthy dollop of hand cream.
- The almond-curd treatment– Mix crushed almonds with curd and apply the paste on your knuckles. Rub for 10 minutes. If done consistently, this will help reduce darkness and makes skin fairer and smoother.
- Lemon and honey combo– Use equal quantities of lemon juice and honey to make a soothing and moisturising combination. Apply it consistently and you will definitely see an improvement in the colour of your knuckles.
The key to getting rid of dark knuckles is to be consistent with your skin care routine. Many women choose to go down the easy rout and bleach their skin instead but and although bleaching your skin may take care of dark knuckles temporarily, remember you may not like to use so many chemicals to camouflage this dark flaw.
Trust us and go down the natural route and try out home remedies to treat dark knuckles once and for all.